Books read in 2008...so far

Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 by Anuj Mehta

In past 2 years I had adopted a good habit of reading books. Whenever I am free (which means neither I am working nor sleeping...as I spent most of my time in these 2 activities only) I just pick up a book and keep reading till I dose off. Last year I read 13 books and I was happy about it (as it was the only good thing that happened to me last year) Books read in 2007.

Last year I read only novels/non-technical books but this year for a change I started reading some technical books also. Here the list goes of the books that I have read in 2008 so far


Technical Books


1.Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software

This is one of the best book on design pattern. It is commonly referred as Design pattern book by gang of four. It's an excellent book and must read for any developer.







2. The Best Software Writing I: Selected and Introduced by Joel Spolsky

A nice collection of software writings selected by Joel Spolsky

3. The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering

This is collection of essays on Software engineering. One of my personal favourite book. The author Frederick P Brooks wrote this book some 20-30 years back and discusses about his experiences in various projects in IBM mainly IBM Systems/360. This is a timeless book on Software engg and definitely a must read for any software professional.





4.Java Concurrency in Practice

This book is completely dedicated to threads and family of things in Java. Its a heavy stuff for me hence in spite of my all efforts I couldn't read it completely.



Apart from technical books I read a number of essay's. I will recommend following to sw professionals

1. The Cathedral and the Bazaar By Eric S Raymond
2. How to becomes a Hacker By Eric S Raymond



Non-Technical Books



1. Albert Einstein: A biography

A nice book on Einstein. Einstein and Hilter both are from Germany. I had read biography of both the people. But I am more impressed by Hitler.The way he cunningly captured half of Europe was amazing. No doubt he was devil on earth but I really appreciate his shrewdness.





2. Speeches That Changed the World: The Stories and Transcripts of the Moments That Made History

The book is simply awesome. Very nice collection of books except for last one which is George Bush address to nation after 9/11. Bush sucks!! He is root cause of all the evil that is happening in the world ;)






3. Plays by Chekhov : After a long time read I read plays. The plays are bit depressing.


4. The Chancellor Manuscript By Robert Ludlum








5. The Little Prince

A book with hardly 80 pages but really nice.


6. One night@ Call Center By Chetan Bhagat

7. Doctors By Eric Segal

0 Responses to "Books read in 2008...so far":