Few tips/lessons for a software engineer

Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 by Anuj Mehta

I am working as a software engineer for more than 3 years now. In my limited experience I had worked on 4 projects, started with System Testing, contributed to maintenance of a project and finally did proper development work. In these years I came across numerous 'so-called' software engineers and bloody managers. Here are some tips/lessons for other software engineers from my experience 


1. Focus on your work and learning rather than how much money you are making, your progressions. The real satisfaction that you get when you develop an ultimate peice of software OR when you solve a very difficult problem in much more than earning lacs of rupees. 

2. Avoid spoonfeeding. Struggle as much as you can but try to solve by yourself. Start this process today otherwise it will be very late for you. In my project once a guy with 10 year experience asked me "Hey I am getting NullPointerException. What should I do?"...I replied "Commit Suicide!!"

4 Responses to "Few tips/lessons for a software engineer":

Unknown says:

Nice one Anuj. Keep it up.

Anuj Mehta says:

Thanks. But DJ who??

ShruWorld says:

Good one...especially the first point :)

Anuj Mehta says:

Thanks Shruti for your comments.
I had observed (or rather i shud say suffered ever the years) based on which i had written 1st point